Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Week 6 Reading Diary : Japanese Fairy Tales

The Two Frogs 
I liked how this story incorporated real cities in Japan, Osaka and Kyoto in this story along with links providing information about the two. I liked humor about the two frogs. I wish they really got to see each other's cities and not accidentally see their own!

The Stonecutter 
Loved this story! There was a great message behind the story, "Don't take anything for granted". I liked the various different things that the stonecutter asked to be turned into. From a prince to the sun to a rock and finally back to a man. Love who you are, what you do, and what you have!

The Maiden with the Wooden Helmet
I wonder what would happen if the girl took he wooden helmet off sooner? I wonder if she would have been treated differently. She was very modest with her beauty and it definitely benefited her in the long run! I feel like this symbolizes and portrays women in Asia somewhat. 

The Envious Neighbor
Humans and their dogs have such a powerful, loyal, and loving connection, and this story portrayed that perfectly! I felt happy when the dog found gold but I was so sad when the greedy neighbor kill him. The dog continued to be loyal (even in dog heaven) and helped his family find gold and riches and eventually gave the jealous neighbor what he deserved!

The Sparrow with the Split Tongue
Why would a wife be so jealous of her husband's happiness and affection to animals? Women are crazy! A "bad, hard-hearted women" is definitely a perfect way to describe her! I was caught off guard when the sparrow turned into a maiden, but how beautiful and grateful she was to be so kind to the old man who protected her! That is why the wife was so jealous and angry! The sparrow was a women! Loved the violent and descriptive ending of the serpents "darting poison in her veins". 

The Cat's Elopement 
I liked the use of the descriptive words used to illustrate a picture of the cats in my head. "Skin as soft and shinning as silk, and wise green eyes that could even see in the dark."  "She blinked her eyes so daintily, and ate her supper so tidily." What an adorable love story between two cats! It is a very different approach than any of the other stories I have read before this semester! I wonder what other animals would fit into this story? 



Gon & Koma


Source : Japanese Fairy Tales Unit.  The Violet Fairy Book by Andrew Lang, Illustrated by H. J. Ford 1901).  

No comments:

Post a Comment