Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Week 6 Reading Diary Continued : Japanese Fairy Tales

Schippeitaro 
I love that the dog and the young boy were both the heroes in this story and saved all the women of the village! Its crazy how a black cat was this mysterious spirit of the mountain who eats different girls in the coffin. I wonder what would have happened if the cat opened the casket and didn't see anything in there at all?

The Crab and the Monkey
I loved the two distinct animal characters in this story. The last time I read about a crab as a character in a fairy tale was in the Little Mermaid with Sebastian! I am so happy that the crab lived, got revenge on the monkey, and got her fruit tree back!

The Magic Kettle 
I think this story might have been my favorite in this whole unit! I love how an object turns into a tanuki, in my mind reminds me of a mix between an ocelot and a fox. I wonder what other objects and animals could be used in this story? I wonder what would have happened if the original old man didn't give away his kettle and I wonder what would happen if  Jimmu didn't return the kettle and act as an honest man?


Tanuki Tea Kettle


How the Wicked Tanuki was Punished 
I thought Tanukis were sweet and cute? Not in this story! It almost sounds like a family betrayal or something from the TV shows Pretty Little Liars or How to get away with Murder.  The little tanuki definitely outsmarted his dad and rightfully so due to the murder of his mother!


Japanese Fairy Tales unit. Story source: The Crimson Fairy Book by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1903).

No comments:

Post a Comment