Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Week 13 Reading Diary :

Tuesday Reading Diary
I chose to read stories from the Brother's Grimm (Crane) unit this week.

The Fisherman and His Wife
Wow what a demanding wife! Its crazy how she told her husband what she wanted and he just immediately asked the flounder for more and more. I liked how this story keep progressing the same each chapter. This wife was dissatisfied and kept wanting more and more and finally the fish denied her the right to make the sun set and rise. Gosh she was a brat!

Aschenputtel
I love the description of the new daughters, "The new wife brought two daughters home with her, and they were beautiful and fair in appearance, but at heart were black and ugly." I had no idea that the story is actually Cinderella! I did not know that her original name was Aschenputtel. How interesting that the story was still different that then version I know. Aschenputtel would disappear in different places and the king attempted to cut down trees and house but could not find her. However, the shoe that she left behind is the same, except it is gold. I can't believe that the one of the step-daughters cut her toe off in order for her foot to fit into the shoe, and the other cut part of her heel off! That was definitely left out in the movie. I can't believe their punishment was to go blind! 

The Robber Bridegroom
Wow this story was crazy! I am so glad the bride was able to hide and escape with the old women and not cut into pieces and eaten by the cannibals. I liked how the bride told the story to the whole town on their wedding day and the evil bridegroom got what he deserved! She portrayed it as a dream which is very clever when trying to find a way to exposure the criminal! 

Bridegroom, By Walter Crane 


Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm, translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane (1886).

No comments:

Post a Comment