Monday, January 25, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary : Aesop For Children (Winter)

I choose some of my favorite stories from Aesop for Children, illustrated by Milo Winter, and described some of the things I liked or paid close attention too.

The Oxen and the Wheels 
I loved this story and the theme behind it. I thought it was very interesting that the author made wheels, a non-human object, a huge character role in the story. This story could have been easily told using two "typical" characters, but instead the characters were stretched to animals and objects.

The Plane Tree
This story had an awesome message behind it, "our best blessings are often the least appreciated." I thought the message was very true and I also thought that the way it was portrayed was very interesting. The story had a good use of descriptive words and instead of saying a hot afternoon, the author used "walking in the noonday sun."  To describe the tree, I liked how the author used the phrase "sought the shade of a wide spreading tree to rest" to describe the appearance of the tree.

The Monkey and the Camel
 I loved this story. It is so true about real life. People become envious so easily and so quickly. I could see myself having fun re-telling this story in a high-school setting.




The Dog and His Master's Dinner
I felt bad for the dog when he was stopped by the pack of dogs. How could you outrun them when you are cornered you and you couldn't get away from them? I felt sympathy for the poor and faithful pup!


The Dogs and the Hides
I thought this story was going to be different then what actually happened. I had no idea the dogs were going to burst from drinking water. I had to laugh, it was sad but very funny. Stories with amusement and hilarity are often the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment