Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Reading Diary Week 10 : Eskimo Folk Tales

The following notes on the following stories are from the Eskimo Folk Tales unit. 

Tuesday Reading
The Coming of Men, A Long, Long While Ago- I liked how at the end of the story, when the men died, they became bright shining stars and help light the sky up. I also liked that men decided they needed dogs!
- The Woman Who Had a Bear as a Foster-Son- Crazy to think that a polar bear could be an adopted child! I wonder what other animals would have been good "foster children". This could be a fun story to retell using another animal.
-Qalagánguasê, Who Passed to the Land of Ghosts- Poor Qalagánguase!! At least he got to be with his family at the end. Interesting to think that people thought he turned into a women when he disappeared, but actually he was a ghost! Could be a fun halloween story to retell! 
- The Giant Dog- A very gruesome story! I was caught off guard because usually dogs are are so sweet and would not eat humans! I would be scared too of giant dogs if I ever met this one! 

Wednesday Reading
Papik Who Killed His Wife's Brother Wow! There is no mercy for Papik! I like how the mom got revenge and it thought it was so weird that it was custom for men back in the day to kill their wife's brothers. So strange and twisted.

Pâtussorssuaq, Who Killed His Uncle- A twisted love story. I wonder what would have happened if Pâtussorssuaq didn't kill his uncle? Would he still have been madly in love with his uncle's wife? (Which is also his aunt...) I'm glad the uncle (now a fox) got revenge on his nephew for being so cruel. "Thus punishment falls upon the man who kills."
The Wife Who Lied- I wonder why the wife thought it was ok to lie to her own tribe about her husbands? All she did was start a war that ended up killing others and herself. A great moral behind the gruesomeness of this story.
-Ángángŭjuk- I'm glad Ángángŭjuk went after his child and found him! I am also glad he didn't end up killing his wife, that would make his situation even worse! I liked the protective father role Ángángŭjuk played in this story because my father would definitely go to extremes to find me! Instead of having wizards help him find me, he would hire the whole FBI!
Arctic Fox( Alátaq) by Will Brown


Story source: Eskimo Folk-Tales by Knud Rasmussen with illustrations by native Eskimo artists (1921).

No comments:

Post a Comment