Thursday, March 24, 2016

Week 9 Storytelling : ABC's The Bachelorette


Jojo - Season 20 Bachelorette 
Jojo, after losing Ben to Lauren B. in the last season of the Bachelor, is ready to take on her role as ABC’s new Bachelorette. She stood in front of the beautiful Bachelor Mansion in California, wearing her formal evening gown and patiently waiting for the 25 lucky contestants to arrive.

One by one, the men got out of the limo. When the news was released that Jojo was going to be the next Bachelorette, fans went wild. Jojo is gorgeous, fun, outgoing, caring, compassionate, and so many other qualities that a man would love to have in his future wife. Many male contestants auditioned and only 25 lucky men were selected to be on the show. 

All of the men were very attractive and handsome. Every girl viewing the show from her TV could only think, “Wow, Jojo is so lucky to be surrounded by so many attractive guys.” 

However, as the show progressed, Jojo continued to send home America’s favorite men. But why? Contestants with amazing qualities, physical attractiveness, and financial stability were having their hearts broken by Jojo each week.

Rose Ceremony 
As the show advanced throughout the season, Jojo continued to give roses to the men she liked and had connections with, and sent home the ones she couldn't see herself marrying. 

Week by week went by, and now Jojo was down to four contestants. 

Michael JamesonPro surfer from the coast of California, reigning National Surf Champion, enjoys romance novels, seafood fanatic, and graduate from UCLA.

Adam Long : CEO of his own software company in Dallas, enjoys vacations to the Caribbean and lazy Sundays in his Uptown Dallas condo.

Owen Stevens : 26-year old from LA, works 3 different jobs, and enjoys volunteering at the homeless shelter, animal shelter, and children's hospital in his free time. 

Ryan Smith : Successful lawyer in Chicago, golden-doodle owner, loves attending Chicago Bulls' basketball games in his suite, and enjoys taking joy rides in his Ferrari. 

When there are four men are remaining on the show, each contestant takes the bachelorette to their hometowns to introduce the bachelorette (possibly potential wife) to their families. 
Michael's Family's house in California

Jojo visited the homes of Adam, Michael, and Ryan. Each of these three men had  large and lavish mansions with a plethora of expensive art, designer furniture, and an incredible backyard pool and patio area.

When Jojo went to Owen’s hometown to meet his family, the experience was much different. Owen’s house was tiny. There were cracks in the walls, leaks in the ceiling, old creaky wooden floors, and old wallpaper on the walls since the family could not afford to repaint or fix the home.

Jojo’s visit in Owen’s hometown with his family was one of her favorites.Owen wasn’t a trust fund baby and didn’t live a luxurious life like the other contestants.

 “I had never felt so loved and welcomed into someone else’s home,” said Jojo after the hometown date. “Yes, Owen’s family isn’t as privileged as some of the other families. But their hospitality and compassionate hearts are something that makes them more privileged in my opinion.”

After the hometown dates, Jojo sent home Adam, the software CEO. The next week she sent home Michael, the pro surfer, who did not take the breakup very easily. He did not think it was "rad" or "chill" at all.

The next week was finally the season finale. Without a doubt in her mind or her heart, Jojo picked Owen over Ryan and Owen proposed immediately at the finale.


Jojo & Owen's Engagement
After the show, Jojo and Owen attended many interviews and made several guest appearances on different TV talk shows.

In one talk show, the host asked, “Now, Jojo, what made you chose Owen?” 

“Because he was the most genuine heart I have ever seen. He is the most beautiful person on the inside which in turn makes him the most beautiful person on the outside. I have never been happier with a decision.”

And Jojo and Owen remained one of the few couples from the TV show that remained married and in love for years.


The Bachelorette 


Author’s Note


This story was based on the story, The Child of the Evening Star from the American Indian Fairy Tales Unit. The original story had three parts, but I chose to retell the first portion of the story. A hunter had ten beautiful daughters who each were married off to prestigious  attractive, and skillful husbands. Oweenee, the youngest daughter, could not find a suitor who met her expectations. She turned down many suitors and none of her sisters understood why. They were all wealthy and attractive but yet Oweenee did not want to marry any of them. That is until a man named Osseo came along. Osseo was not the most attractive and he was very poor. However, Oweenee loved his genuine heart and chose to marry him.  I chose to retell my the story used the ABC's famous TV show : The Bachelorette / Bachelor (depending on if it is a woman or man). The last season just ended and Jojo Fletcher (yes a real person) was the runner up and was chosen as the next Bachelorette. Her season will air next January. I wanted Jojo to pick someone who was genuine and kind instead of someone who was rich and privileged. I described Owen's home the way I did to compare it to the mansions of the other suitors (comparable to the ones from the original story). 


Original story source :

8 comments:

  1. Hey Bailey! Wow I just finished catching up on the Bachelor and still cannot believe that Ben chose Lauren B. Back to the topic though! I think you did a great job capturing the essence of the story with your retelling. I like that Jojo ended up with a great guy. And who knows, maybe she’ll end up with an Owen next season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! First of all I was completely interested when I saw the title of the bachelorette! That show is definitely my guilty pleasure and I watch it religiously. Also, the picture of Jojo peaked my interest even more because I love her and I can not wait until her season of the bachelorette! I really enjoyed reading your story I like how you incorporated it to be kind of like the bachelor. You did a really great job about writing a lot of detail and keeping your reader interested. I really liked that she ended up with Owen. I liked that he was someone who did not live an extravagant life, but lived a great life. I think she needs a guy whos down to earth. So hopefully Jojo does end up with someone similar to Owen! We will just have to wait until May to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bailey,

    I think this setting was perfect for the story retelling you did! I will say, I was really confused, though, because it seemed so real and I kept wondering, "Is she really just retelling a season of The Bachelorette...?" But it's actually a folktale! It's funny how some of these old stories seem so crazy (testing different men to find the perfect husband), but some of them are things we actually do today in our society! (Not that I don't think The Bachelor is a little crazy...)

    Great story, clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bailey,

    I really liked how you took one of the stories and turned it into something that is so relevant in pop culture today! I have never been a huge bachelor fan because of how fake it can feel. I really liked how you made Jojo a down-to-earth girl who married for true love. I haven't watched the show much personally, so I wonder-do they ever include men that are from more modest families like Owen's? Or are they always super wealthy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! I personally have never watched the Bachelorette or the Bachelor, so im not too sure if this story includes the actual background stories of each person or if these backgrounds are fictional. Regardless of all of that, I think you did a great job! I feel like I received a true synopsis of how this season went down. I was able to see how the season and relationships progressed (or disintegrated) over time. When Jojo went to visit Owen’s family, she realized the differences in his background compared to the other contestants. Depending upon her character, this could have been the breaking point of any future plans between the two. It was a beautiful moment when she allowed who he was as a person and who his family was to determine the great aspects the possessed, instead of only counting the materialist components. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I love how you made it into such a popular TV show. It makes the story very relatable. I also love how she picked the most genuine guy. Sometimes people are too focused on money to see people's true personalities. It is great we have stories like these to remind us what is truly important in life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bailey! I was really excited when I saw your story about The Bachelorette! I followed last season, and loved Jojo, so I was excited to see where your story about her season would take her. I liked the fact that you kept true to the original story about how she chose the most genuine guy over the others. I think this rarely happens, especially on reality TV. It was really cool to follow along, and see that she liked his family the best, even though they did not have as nice of a house as the other three. It showed that she was really looking for the best guy, and not who could offer her the most. It would’ve been really cool to see a glimpse into their future, and how the nice guy was treating her, and where they ended up. It would be like a little check in that they do on Shark Tank, if you have ever seen that. Great Story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go with being one of the top Portfolios Bay!! I loved this story, wow. I am obsessed with the Bachelor so any story that resembles it has my attention. It was so creative of you to read this original story and connect it to the bachelorette and write your own story. I bet that is why so many people have loved your portfolio, because you have done a good job of writing stories that everyone can relate to and finds entertaining. I can’t wait for the new season of the bach to start up, I hope that Jojo finds herself an Owen and they live happily every after. I also really liked all the pictures you used in your story, it really made me feel like I was watching an episode of the show. I also love the detail that you put into describing each person and things about the show.

    ReplyDelete