Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Week 11 Reading Diary continued: Nursery Rhythms

I chose to read stories the British unit, Nursery Rhythms.  I read some stories by Andrew Lang before and thought these short and fun nursery rhythms would be enjoyable to do and plus I also wanted to switch up the style of readings for this week!

Wednesday Reading Diary 
Since there were many different nursery rhythms in each story / section/ chapter ( whatever you want to call it), I decided I to pick my favorite one out of each.

Jingles - I liked the jingle Hey Diddle Diddle in this section. I remember this rhythm from when I was a kid. I think it would be fun to retell. Plus, I really like the picture which depicts the entire rhythm. 
Love and Matrimony - Jack and Jill was my favorite in this section. I liked the rhyming in this rhythm and interestingly, Jack and Jill are referred to King Louis XVI - Jack -who was beheaded (lost his crown) followed by his Queen Marie Antoinette - Jill - (who came tumbling after).
Natural History Part 1 -  I think this rhythm would be fun to re tell in a story!
THERE was a little boy went into a barn,
And lay down on some hay;
An owl came out and flew about,
And the little boy ran away.

Natural History Part 2 -  I love how the hen is carrying for this man! It makes me think of a nurse or a companion for an old person!
I HAD a little hen, the prettiest ever seen;
She washed me the dishes, and kept the house clean;
She went to the mill to fetch me some flour;
She brought it home in less than an hour;
She baked me my bread, she brew'd me my ale;
She sat by the fire, and told many a fine tale.

Accumulative Stories -  I like how all of these stories/ rhythms keep adding onto the story! Especially "This is the House that Built Jack". A new line is added each time, which the previous ones underneath. It reminds me of the 12 days of Christmas song!
Relics - My favorite was rain rain go away. I feel like this rhythm could be retold as a little kid who is stuck inside and all he wants to do is go outside and play. 
RAIN, rain, go away;
Come again another day;
Little Arthur wants to play.

Jack and Jill

Source: The Nursery Rhyme Book edited by Andrew Lang and illustrated by L. Leslie Brooke (1897).

No comments:

Post a Comment