Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Reading Diary : Alice in Wonderland

Reading Diary A  : Alice in Wonderland 
Source: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865).

I love Alice in Wonderland and I love that I get to read the actual stories by Lewis Carroll! I have only seen Disney movie and loved getting to read the stories that the movie was based off of.

I love the curiosity Alice has in the beginning in Down the Rabbit-Hole  section. When she was falling down the hole, I felt like it was almost in slow motion because she had so much time to think about so many different things. I also enjoy how strange the story is ; Alice follows a rabbit down a hole and falls, but doesn't get hurt, and ends up in a room full of different sizes of doors. The creativity and bizarreness of these stories is awesome. I'm glad Alice checked the drink to see if it was poison or not. That would be an interesting plot twist if it was poison and the story ended right then and there. How strange that a drink could make you grow smaller and a piece of cake could make you grow to the height of a skyscraper!
Aha! The lovely hookah smoking caterpillar! I wonder what Lewis Carroll's inspiration was to create a talking, hookah smoking caterpillar in the chapter, Advice from a Caterpillar? Maybe Lewis Carroll was trying to imply that Alice was high as well, entering this weird and strange world? I also didn't know that Alice didn't know how to speak correctly anymore! It makes so much more sense now! The caterpillar is so blunt, I love it!
I vaguely remember this story, Pepper and Pig, from one the adapted movies of Alice in Wonderland. It was interesting to read! This story is crazy and has a lot of stimulus going on! I wonder why this part was left out in the Disney version? Maybe because it seems a little violent with the Duchess throwing her baby around and singing a song about how she beats him when he sneezes!
I also didn't the Cheshire Cat was a girl! I always thought it was a boy cat! I also like how the Cheshire Cat talks about how everyone in this world is mad, because everything about Lewis Carroll's stories are queer! Just like Alice said, "She was used to queer things happening."
Alice


No comments:

Post a Comment